European Commission 2014
Generation Awake is a campaign of the European Commission which through the contest for young designers Become an Awakener was aimed to promote responsible consumption and recycling among Europeans aged from 25 to 40.
• Generation Awake with the contest Become an Awakener was an innovative campaign that went beyond the didactic tone of voice of many communication efforts. With it we did not tell people what to do but rather showed to them how things could acquire new quality; that waste is not a curse and can even give birth to art, innovation and beauty.
• The message targeted young people through the presentation of youth creativity and highlighted the responsibility of young generations for dealing succsessfully with global issues.
• Generation Awake sought to attract young talent for the creation of functional and beautiful household items from already used material. The mission of the campaign was to accentuate the role of waste in solving the problems of the environment.
• The most vivid and convincing way to illustrate the beenfits of reuse and recycling was to inspire young people for ideas that breathe new life in them, This happened during the Become an Awakener contest for young designers.
• Work on building partnerships with the representatives of academic circles and the business. The main business partner of the initiative IKEA Bulgaria provided a one-month internship to the first prize holder in the Become an Awakener contest for young designers
• A campaign for announcing the contest by means of media partnerships and with support from the academic institutions and communities
• Recruiting a jury from the academic circles and the business for selecting the best designers under strictly defined criteria
• Prize giving to the best three projects at the European Commission representation in Sofia
• Arranging an exhibition with 13 selected worksat the European Commission representation in Sofia
• Mounting an exhibition with the works of the 13 finalists in partnership with the National Academy for Theater and Film Art (NATFA)
• A workshop for creating a tree made of paper, aluminiumand plastic displayed at NATFA
• An outdoor exhibition in the centre of Sofia with photos from works of awarded designers in the same contest held in other EU countries
• Participation of the three best designs in the Green Week forum in Brussels
• The contest and project’s communication program:
> Bulgarian language section in the multinational website of the campaign
> Development of a Bulgarian language website especially for the contest in Bulgaria
> Media partnerships with Vesti.bg, Zhenata dnes magazine and B2Bmagazine.
• Number of participants in the contest for young designers: 48
• Media coverage: 84 items published, TV – 2, radio – 3