Do the Right Mix
European Commission campaign 2013, 2014, continues
In 2012 the European Commission gave the start to the communication campaign Do the Right Mix accentuating sustainable urban mobility in Europe.
In Bulgaria the motto was changed to Travel Smart and the campaign comprised a few locally generated activities and events.
Sustainable travel in town implies the introduction of a model of moving from point to point in an urban environment devised to alleviate heavy traffic, cut noise and carbon emissions to improve air quality and better the health status of urban residents.
• Deeply rooted attitudes for private car use even for the shortest of distances
• Both urban plans and traffic hostile to smart travel
• For adapting the campaign in Bulgaria we cooperated with the Ministry of Environment and Water and with a working group of eleven Bulgarian experts from institutions, NGOs and the private sector.
• For the wide public we developed messages and activities aimed primarily at people who would more readily accept the campaign’s ideas and give a personal example to others thus pioneering trends.
Agency’s goal, anticipated results
Urge the beginning of a change in stereotypes for traveling in town
By giving up private cars for everyday chores in town we save money from fuel, increase our physical fitness and help cut harmful emissions in the air.
How to attain goals:
• Regular meetings with stakeholders at the level of institutions
• Regular media relations
• Contact with the wider public: traditional and online media; own media, live events, The 20 City Points game
Involvement in the street festival Sofia Breathes (2013) with presentation of the campaign through an installation of an old Moskvich car, as well as in the festival Zone Culture (2014) by creating thematic graffiti on a house façade in a key Sofia road junction.
Involvement in the GreenDayForum–green strategies and sustainable business solutions,part of the Architecture Week in Plovdiv.
Official campaign start: European Mobility Week, 16-22 September 2013, a day without cars in the city centre. We presented the event The 20 City Points, a game with stamps from key city locations laid in personal booklets and aimed to encourage smart travel in town.
We assisted the implementation of the first Bulgarian mobile carpooling application – jointly with the AHA!CAR platform. It provides a convenient option for arranging a city or inter-city trip regardless of whether the user is a passenger or driver. The carpooling cause seeks to help protect the natural environment by cutting harmful emissions and by optimizing means of transport.
We held a contest for amateur photographers on the subject of carpooling followed by an outdoor exhibition in central Sofia.
We created an own media outlet, the newspaper The Green Sofia Times. Since the beginning of the campaign we released five issues with unique design and content.
Online communication was also widely used in our program. We developed a local website www.dothemix.bg, and webpages on Facebook and Instragram.
Two numbers, but so many people
• 9 750 –the total number of people personally touched by the ideas of Do the Right Mix at forums, indoor and outdoor events.
• In excess of70,000 indirectly reached by the messages of the campaign